I’ve been slacking recently, but I did manage to do some work on the bedroom. The latest updates are: new bed, new light fixture, over the bed wall art, and new curtains! It is taking more time and work than I expected because as with every home improvement project there will be a few unplanned difficulties. Since my bedroom is no different, I’ve decided that I each update deserves its own post! The first of the bunch is the bed.
I purchased a lovely French bed frame, circa 1920 from eBay. While speaking with the seller he asked if I would need extended side-rails – my answer would depend on both the price and if I would be the lucky buyer. Apparently, someone else called about the same bed earlier that day. Since I never heard of extended side-rails I asked, “It’s a queen, right?” His answer, “Yes.” Then I thought, extended sideboards, “No.” Well, I learned about extended side-rails the hard way. At the same time I purchased a luxury queen sized mattress at an amazing price. No returns though. So I only had one chance on the mattress, it would have to fit (a little foreshadowing here).
Additionally, I spent a few hours on a Friday night re-upholstering the headboard in a yellow velvet from Mood Designer Fabrics. The existing fabric was a pretty Neoclassical green silk, but it was also quite worn and stained and didn’t fit the colors of my bedroom. I made double welt cording – you can see my chair tutorial [here] about how to do that. The completed headboard is exactly what I had in mind!
Shoot ahead to bed installation